11 oz Self rising flour (White Lily)
1 oz Toasted pecans, finely chopped
2 oz Butter, cold
½ each Grated zest from 1 orange
1 ¼ cups Heavy cream
½ tsp Orange Flower water
3 pints Washed and sliced strawberries
1 oz Grand Marnier
1 pint Cream
¼ cup Mascarpone
1/4 cup Sugar
½ tsp Orange flower water
1) Cut the butter into pea size pieces and mix it in the flour.
2) Stir the grated zest into the cream, add the orange flower water and pour it all at once into the flour mixture. Stir to form a soft dough. Take care not to overmix.
3) Place on a floured surface and pat out to a rectangle 1.5” thick. Make a single tum shaping the dough with your hands and not a pin
4) After resting, roll the dough to a 12” square and give it a second turn. Roll the dough into a 7” X 18” rectangle about 3/4” thick. Cut out with a large round cutter.
5) Brush the tops of each round with eggwash and invert in sugar. Place sugar side up on a sheetpan lined with parchment and score the tops with a razor blade in a crosshatch pattern.
6) Bake at 400 for 8 minutes.
Cut 2 shortcake rounds per serving with a serrated knife. Place a round in a bowl and spoon alternate layers of strawberries, cream and juice, ending with cream. Serve with hot chicory cafe au lait.
Image via flickr: frank3.0